Stretch your travel dollars with free live entertainment, outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, and much more. Explore our top picks of free activities in The Colony.
- Take in the views of Lewisville Lake along a 10-foot wide, 3.5-mile, decomposed granite trail. The Shoreline Trail is perfect for hiking or cycling and all ages from sunrise to sunset. Free parking is available at both trailheads located at Stewart Creek Park (3700 Sparks Road) and Ridgepoint Park (4401 Standridge Drive).
- Cast a line thanks to The Colony Public Library’s partnership with Texas Parks and Wildlife. Adult library cardholders (don’t worry, library cards are also free) can check out rods and tackle for up to seven days. Remember, a Texas Fishing License is required to fish on all waterways and city parks.
- Play year-round at The Beachcomber, a coastal-themed hangout with 10 sand volleyball courts, yard games, and ping-pong tables. While you’re there, check out their signature tiki drinks and light bites inside the restaurant.
- Trek along the Tribute Shoreline Trail. The environmentally sensitive trail winds through 600 acres and spans just over 3-miles. Along the trail, learn about native flora and fauna that reside within the Wildlife Habitat area.
- Pack your discs because Bill Allen Memorial Park can’t be missed. Play a round of disc golf on the beautifully maintained greens or for a small entry fee, compete in a weekly tournament with a cash prize.
- Set up a puppy play date at Bacon’s Dog Park. The one-acre dog park features separate areas for large and small breeds with play structures in both. Receive free access to the park with a purchase from any of the adjacent restaurants at The Shacks at Austin Ranch.
- Gather the whole family for family board game night at Heritage Pizza. On Tuesday nights, bring a board game to play and your kids eat free. Don’t worry if your family is all grown-up, they accommodate big kids as well.
- Pack some blankets and your favorite cinema snacks for Movies in the Park. During spring and fall, the city hosts free screenings of blockbuster hits on an inflatable big screen at The Colony Five Star Complex.
- Keep little ones entertained all summer long. The Colony Parks and Recreation hosts a weekly Summer Clubhouse series featuring live entertainers, movie screenings, and educational fun every Friday from late May to early August.
- Catch a film screening fit for the whole family. Kid’s Movie Saturdays at Lava Cantina offers a free flick each week with discounted kid’s meals and complimentary activities for the little ones.
- Practice your Texan at Hard Eight BBQ. Enjoy free live country music Wednesday through Saturday and treat yourself to some Texas-style, mesquite-smoked barbeque featured on Cooking Channel’s Man Fire Food.
- Check out dozens of exotic and custom cars from Lamborghinis to Bugattis on display at monthly car meets. Spectator parking and admission is complimentary at both Fueled Up outside of Nebraska Furniture Mart and Cars and Cantina at Lava Cantina.
- Get your geek on with book, TV, and movie trivia nights at Growler USA. This weekly trivia series requires registration in advance but is completely free. Previous nights featured Harry Potter, The Office, Disney Pixar, and Marvel trivia.
- Experience the grandeur of Nebraska Furniture Mart, the nation’s largest home furnishings store offering more than just furniture. Check out their monthly events ranging from celebrity appearances and tech demonstrations to giveaways and photo opportunities.
- Browse an array of hand-crafted, vintage, and one-of-a-kind finds at The Boho Market. This pop-up market brings together local vendors once a month at The Shacks at Austin Ranch.
- Catch a concert at The Colony’s premier music venue. Lava Cantina hosts live music and entertainment nightly with occasional free performances. Be sure to secure your complimentary ticket in advance.
- Test your song knowledge with musical bingo. Urban8 Food Court combines traditional bingo with your favorite tracks making for a Wednesday night hit.
- Play yard games like life-size Connect Four, Battleship, cornhole, and bocce ball at Truck Yard. This adult playground and beer garden also features free live music Thursday – Sunday and cheap eats from food trucks.
- Put your poker face to the test at Growler USA. On Fridays, participate in a Texas hold’em tournament with free entry and a $100 cash prize. Don’t forget to sample one of the 100 beers on tap at this Texas-sized bar.
- Warm-up your vocal cords and sing your heart out at Karaoke Night inside Dirty Burger Bar. Any Tuesday step up to the mic then ask about the happy hour specials.
- Feel transported to the streets of Havana at The Latin Pig, named in The 25 Best Cuban Restaurants in America. Party it up on International Fridays with no cover and Latin dancing late into the night.
- View exceptional public art on display across the city. From large sculptures at Austin Ranch to digital art installations coming soon to Grandscape, there’s something for everyone.
- Explore the city’s past at The Colony Public Library. The Local History Corner offers insight into events dating back to the 1800s and historic artifacts on display to the public.
- View the once roadside attraction now on permanent display in The Colony, Barney Smith’s Toilet Seat Museum. A former master plumber’s collection of over 1,400 decorated seats is a sight to see. This eclectic collection can be viewed any day of the week on the second floor of Truck Yard.
- Peer inside Bridges Cemetery for a look into the city’s past dating back to 1855. Unique to most southern cemeteries, there are both Confederate and Union soldiers buried within. Seasonal public tours are available through The Colony Public Library’s Local History Committee.
Time your visit to coincide with one of our many free annual events. In the spring, explore the wonders that take to the sky at Up, Up & Away! Festival of Flight. This family-focused event celebrates all forms of flight and features kites, birding demonstrations, paper airplane contests, and live entertainment. On Independence Day, join in the festivities at Liberty by the Lake with a 5K & 10K, live music, action-packed entertainment, and food competitions. The American Heroes Festival pays tribute to Veteran’s Day every November with a two-day country music concert series, Veteran ceremonies, and four-day carnival. In early December, Holiday in the Park kicks off the most wonderful time of the year with an illuminated parade, baking contests, festive live performances, and pictures with Santa.